Saturday 19 May 2007

Stand In The Corner And Keep Quiet

I'm about to go over to Sonja's. Just to kill time. And boredom.
Anyway... I keep talking to these two guys I met at R+. It seems to me that they expect me to come again. It's not that I didn't have a good time. I did. But let me tell you, being in that kind of a crowd puts a lot of pressure on yours truly. Here's why. First of all, it's a big crowd. I get lost in a big crowd. Then I tend to stand in the corner and keep quiet. How much fun is that? Not much, right? Secondly, they are all quite loud and funny.. in one word - interesting. I, on the other hand, am not. I know some of you might jump on this and disagree but you are all well aware of the fact that it's one thing to be funny or smart or witty or whatever online, where you have time to stop and think and organise your thoughts before you write them down, and even delete stuff you're not happy with, and quite another to be all that when talking to people face to face, especially unknown people. (Do I win something for the longest sentence ever?) When in that kind of a situation, I, you guessed it, tend to stand in the corner and keep quiet. Then you should know that Croatians in general, when among friends, mock each other and tease each other and joke on each other's accounts. No one gets offended (or at least shouldn't), but it's important to have a good comeback no matter what the topic is. And I don't. So that creates a lot of pressure. And I get nervous and then I tend to stand in the corner and keep quiet. I was really sorry for those two guys who, because they were the ones who talked me into coming, I'm sure felt obliged to keep me company and entertain me just so I wouldn't be alone in my corner. And then I felt guilty because of that. So I don't think I'll be going there again. I'm sure no one understands this but it's just how I feel.
And I know I should stop talking about this at this point, cuz it was like three days ago but I can't cuz I'm going over the whole thing over and over and over in my head and every time I do that it just gets worse. Obsessed much? I know.

4 spoke back:

jenny said...

I know what you mean... It's always days later that I come up with the perfect comeback to what was said and I kick myself in the arse for not thinking of it sooner! I never was very good at thinking on the spot, although in college, during my drinking days, and I was a little (ok, a lot!) liquored up, I could hold my own.

Dont worry, tell them you have to wash your hair!

lady macleod said...

Oh sweetie I wish I had a magic formula for you. But I will say this, perhaps you could give Krissie a break - you know stop putting her down, start saying nice things about her..like that. I would appreciate that.

Krissie said...

Jenny, drinking does help. Unfortunately, when I drink, anything can happen, so I rather don't. Standing in the corner is one thing. Dancing on the table half naked is quite another.
And lol, Lady MacLeod, I can try but I'm not promising anything

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should stop worrying about comebacks and start thinking about all those other people out there that are desparately looking for pleasant company that they do not have to be witty around. You're not the only one. Give yourself a break and you will see.

Bel