Sunday 22 July 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT THE BOOK TO BE RUINED FOR YOU - THERE ARE SPOILERS BELOW THE PICTURE OF THE COVER.
There, you have been warned. I am so glad I haven't turned my computer on today because as soon as I did, there it was - the title that reveals the end! How can people be so incredibly cruel, I do not know. Not that I won't do the exact same thing and in much greater detail but at least I warned you. It took me about 16 hours with breaks to eat and go to bathroom, from 10am till 2am, to finish it but I did it. Once again:
¤
¤
¤
S¤P¤O¤I¤L¤E¤R¤S
¤
¤
¤
If you want to read it, highlight it!
I cried my eyes out. I can't even count the tissues. All the time I had the feeling I was saying goodbye to all of the characters that I got to know and love through the years. Probably because I was. Especially towards the end when so many of them showed up for he final battle, like Oliver Wood, Angelina Johnson and others. Then Krum at Bill and Fleur's wedding, and Percy who came and admitted he was a bloody fool... But I rush ahead of myself.
I was shocked with the first death because it came so soon and because it was Hedwig. I never would have thought J.K. would kill his owl. It didn't make me cry though. Nor did George's loss of ear make me cry. It did make me laugh when he said "'Ear, 'ear!" after Harry gave his speech. The first time I teared up was when Hermione accidentally broke Harry's wand. His trusty wand! A piece of my heart broke with it. I couldn't believe he was left unprotected, unarmed... And above all, Ron has deserted him! That was so wrong and I expected Ron to die because of this betrayal. Then later he returned and saved Harry's life and got the sword of Godryc Gryffindor so I guess he made amends.
The first time I actually cried out loud, so much that I had to go wash my face so I could see the letters, was when Dobby died. That brave unselfish elf, who never did anything but give his best to help Harry, finally laid his life for "Harry Potter Sir". And as Harry was digging a grave for his loyal friend, I cried. Poor poor Dobby... He will be remembered.
I know all I do is write about the deaths but they made me cry. I cried the most when Fred was killed. I was truly shocked. I honestly believed the Weasley children would not be harmed. Clearly, I was wrong. But I feared for Mrs. Weasley's life when she fought Bellatrix at the end. I was so relieved when Harry came to the rescue.
Snape... What to say? To find out at the end that all this time he indeed was on Dumbledore's side... I don't know what to think about that. Nor about the revelation of his and Lily's childhood friendship. Does the fact that all he ever tried to do was to protect Lily's son redeem him? I don't know. Harry naming his son after him says it does. Must I say that he married Ginny? And on that note, Ron and Hermione also got married.
Lupin and Tonks got a baby boy just to die in the final battle. Again, tears. That shook me. It reminded me so much of Harry and his parents. Although it's a bit odd how Lupin's death wasn't even described, it only said that his and Tonks's body was in the Great Hall with the others. After all, he was an important character. But it was sweet when little Ted was born, Remus asked Harry to be his Godfather. That was amazing and so sad at the same time. At least he'll never be unloved, like Harry, Snape and Voldemort who all thought of Hogwarts as their only home. I'm wondering though whether Ted has inherited his father's condition...
When Harry was going through Snape's memories and saw Dumbledore saying that the boy had to die and that he had to be killed by Voldemort, I put down the book and almost didn't read anymore. Then I swallowed my tears and kept going. Luckily, because all is well that ends well.
Neville was such a wonderful surprise, fighting a lonely battle in the Hogwarts when there was no one left there but him, so brave that even his grandma was proud of him for once and told him he was his parents' son. I cried a little there too. Finally he cut Nagini's head off, so yaay Neville!
Some might argue that Voldemort's death was anticlimactic. In a way, yes. Using a spell that backfired one more time maybe wasn't as spectacular as it was expected but I actually loved it. When Harry used Expelliarmus, his "signature spell", as they call it, he once again proved he is a hero with the righteous heart. And as I see it, in the end what really killed Voldemort wasn't a backfired spell or Harry's skill but everything that Harry is, the sum of the love he was given by his parents, his friends, their faith in him and above all, his faith in himself and in believing that what he is doing was the right thing.
And maybe my favourite moment in the whole book is when Harry takes charge in Bill and Fleur's cottage. He's proud, determined, grown up - he's ready! and he proves it when the time comes.
And now it's all over, there will be no more and it feels like saying goodbye to a friend. J.K. Rowling, hats off to you and thank you for giving us this magical tale.
Goodbye, Harry Potter!


EDIT:
Some Additional Answers

6 spoke back:

Anonymous said...

I've only ever read the first book, so even though I've read the whole damn post, I really don't know what you're on about. lol
Glad you enjoyed it so much, though.
Can't remember the last time I got the chance to read an entire book in one day.

Bel

Krissie said...

Well, I usually read the entire book in one day,at least the good ones, then how could I possibly put down the last Harry Potter? lol

Anonymous said...

LAMO & NATO!
Color me Bel, I have no fucking idea of what you're blabbling about Kiddo but it seems you sure did enjoy yourself and that's what's important!
Now do the same kind of summary of the first 6 books and then we'll talk Potter. CMOK!

... did you really cry for an owl????????????

... yeah, I guess I'm BACK!

Krissie said...

Summary of the first 6 books? Well...
It began when he was 11 and he met and fought Voldemort a few times and it all led to the last book and the final battle of which you read in this post. There you go!

Mama Bear said...

Great summary (yes, I read it too)! When my overly-zealous and self-righteous Christian MIL admonishes me for reading HP to my kids, I will quote your perspective on what the story is really about:

"...what really killed Voldemort wasn't a backfired spell or Harry's skill but everything that Harry is, the sum of the love he was given by his parents, his friends, their faith in him and above all, his faith in himself."

Beautifully stated, Krissie. This is what I hope my kids get out of the story too.

When I watched the news and saw thousands of kids all over the world clamoring for this last HP installment, it brought tears to my eyes. It's wonderful to see kids (and adults) wanting to read books so passionately. I hope J.K. Rowling or some other author writes another equally-compelling story soon to fill the void that HP will surely leave when readers finish the last page of the final book.

P.S. - How did you do the cool disappearing act with the words?

Krissie said...

Well, MB, I can't really say that is the message people should draw from the books,it's just how I felt.
And cool disappearing act was nothing more but changing the colour of letters to one that resembles the background the most. lmao