Friday 25 January 2008

USB

As everyone knows, I'm not exactly a computer wiz. Sure, I make incredible get-well-cards in Paint but that's because I have an eye for colours and a steady hand and amazing artistic visions. But when it comes to technical computer stuff, I suck ass. (see: Haunted Computer)
About a week ago one of my USB ports broke. Yeah, OK, I know stuff don't just break, even though kids usually try to convince their parents that's exactly what happens to their toys. But they don't. So I'll admit that the webcam was plugged in and I may or may not have fallen off the chair and in the process of falling off I may or may not have kicked the plug with my foot and the hit that may or may not have taken place may have broken one of the USB ports. The plug just sorta fell out. Together with a little plastic piece of the USB port. I wasn't particularly happy about it, but I thought what the hell, I still have the second port working.
Obviously, I became very very careful when handling it. Plug it in slowly, plug it out slowly, CAREFUL! not to hit it with your foot... and still, a few days ago as I pulled the mp3's plug out the little plastic piece came out with it. MOTHERFUCKING FUCK!
Goodbye, sweet webcam, goodbye new music I was going to put into my mp3 in the future, goodbye transferring illegally obtained materials to my friends. Hello, misery of being without any of that, hello, horrific thought of breaking the news to my parents, and hello, begging for money for the new case.
So I put that off. And off. And off. And I googled cases and prices and suffered in silence, making my peace with useless webcam and useless mp3 and useless cellphone with a camera for I was no longer able to transfer pictures of my cat that no one wanted to see anyway first to my computer and then to my blog. Sad days those have been.
But... Yep, there's always a "but". Sometimes "but" is bad, but (AHA! there it is again!) not this time. Tonight I was informed that there are supposed to be two more USB ports IN THE BACK of the case. WHAT THE FUCK?! And I learn about that today?! Why? Why haven't anyone told me?! I SUFFERED! I WAS DYING ON INSIDE! I don't know any of you, people. And you call yourselves my friends. Pfft! NO MORE CAT PICTURES FOR YOU! HA!

13 spoke back:

YKM said...

I could have told you that if you'd told me about your little problem lol

anyway, you're back on track now :p

Krissie said...

I told everyone! How come I didn't tell YOU?!

YKM said...

early stages of dementia? lol

Krissie said...

Could be. God knows I'm going from virginhood straight to menopause so why not throw dementia in it!

YKM said...

last time I checked, there's an average of 35 years in between virginhood and menopauze.

Call me an optimitic, but in that quarter century that you still have to bridge, some guy will come along and set your pants on fire!
Trust me, you will find that special guy that can tell you where to find USB ports and knows how to work the toaster.

Oh Toaster guy, where art thou?

Krissie said...

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Sgt said...

Just to throw this in, you wouldn't need an entire new machine. They do sell cards with USB ports for about $8 american. Of course, when you went to put in said card, you would have just seen the other ports.

Furthering your knowledge, I can tell you that you can also buy a "USB Hub" which you could plug into one of the USB spots on the back of your computer and have it sitting on your desk giving you 4 (or more) USB ports in a nice convenient spot.

Krissie said...

That's really helpful, Sgt, especially knowing I actually have a USB port to plug the HUB in.
Of course, the whole problem initially was NOT HAVING ANY OF THE USB PORTS. Or at least, it's what I thought.

Mighty Dyckerson said...

I wouldn't mind plugging my cable into your rear USB port...if you know what I'm saying...

Krissie said...

You'd love that, wouldn't you, Dyck? well dream on.

Sukhaloka said...

Glad your problem's solved, and I'm so glad I read your space coz otherwise I wouldn't have found the USBs on the back of MY tower, lol!

Krissie said...

OMG thank you SUKI! You are now officially my favourite person today!

Anonymous said...

I could've told you that Brat, but I thought eventually you'd see it for yourself... since you like your PC so much, I thought you'd look at it more closely one day or another.
And anyway, I couldn't understand what you broke that time, I had absolutely no fucking idea what you were fucking talking about.
THERE!