Tuesday 16 October 2007

Goodbye, Toše

Toše Proeski, a young Macedonian pop-singer, died this morning in a tragic car accident caused by his driver who wasn't well rested and was driving to fast. He was one of the most popular singers in Croatia in the last two years. Although he ended up in the pop-music, he was a trained opera singer. Toše Proeski was extremely talented, he had so many years before him, so much potential, yet his life ended at the age of twenty-six.

This tragic and most unexpected death made me think about few things. He was my age. My age. One minute he was here with all the time in the world to fulfil his dreams, to enjoy so many new days, and the next he was gone. But the difference between him and me is that he managed to bring joy to so many people with his singing, he made this world a little better place to live. I, on the other hand, did nothing. Maybe I don not have any gifts at all. I do not know. But that is just it: I haven't even tried to discover them yet, I keep thinking there is time. But what if there is not? Who can tell what tomorrow brings? Who can tell if there is even going to be tomorrow?

For too many people tomorrow never came thanks to the reckless drivers on our roads. How many people will have to die before sleepy, drunken, drugged, irresponsible drivers learn their lesson? Lives of children are taken every day. All the laws cannot make a change until people themselves decide to make it.

Toše Proeski's death was a tragedy, yes. But if it makes one driver to decide not to get behind the wheel tired and sleepy and it saves a life, then maybe his death was not in vain.

Be it so or not, we will always have his music. May he rest in peace.


4 spoke back:

Anonymous said...

Krissie, to me your talents are honesty, being down to earth, and making people see what's important. The biggest legacy people can leave behind is how much they've loved, and I have the distinct impression that who is loved by you is very aware of it.

Krissie said...

It's very sweet of you to say that, Belle, but I'm afraid I can count people I love on my fingers.

Anonymous said...

It's not about the number, Krissie. It's about the intensity.

Glitterstim said...

Such a sad loss.... This is why I'm afraid for my 16-year-old to start driving. Vehicles and a teenagers "I am invincible" attitude are just plain dangerous. Even if you're careful, someone else out there might not be and it can be tragic.

And Krissie, I so appreciate you! You have a gift -- in making people smile and think with what you write. And I'm sure that's just one of many talents!

Take care!
BJ