Tuesday 13 November 2007

Uni Rant

Can you say incompetent? Can you say inept? I'm sure people at our student's office at the Uni can cuz after all, it' their name. You know The Incredibles? Well, these people should be called The Incompetents. Seriously. I've left my student's book there about 2 months ago waiting for the approval of taking some second year's classes. Finally it was done yesterday and I took my student's book back. Only to find out that they have put a class that is neither one of Croatian nor English study's class. It's insane. I am apparently taking the Managing of Informational Institutions now. What the fuck is that? I asked for ENGLISH LITERATURE, for crying out loud! So now I have to go back there on Wednesday and have it fixed. I don't believe it.

I've started working on my book report. It turns out I won't be doing Harry Potter after all but The Monk Downstairs. It's shorter (duh!) and I haven't read it before and it deals with a lot of issues so I'll have plenty to write about.
That's not the case with a paper I have to write for my lit class (why am I bothering when I'm apparently not taking it is beyond me). It's supposed to be based on 30ish lines of Sir Gawain and nothing else. We're not supposed to do any research of the secondary sources, just take these lines, come up with a thesis based on them, and write an 800 words paper defending our thesis. Believe me, you cannot draw a thesis out of that snippet. In fact, see for yourself.

`Good morrow, Sir Gawain,' said the lady fair, 'full carelessly thou sleepest that one can thus creep into thy chamber. Now art thou taken unawares, and I shall bind thee in thy bed, of that be thou well assured.' Thus laughingly the lady uttered forth her jestings. 'And,' quoth Sir Gawain, 'Good morrow, gay lady; it will be well pleasing to me to be at thy service, and I yield myself thereto, and desire thy favour as must needs be.' Thus did he dally with her with full glad laughter. 'But wouldst thou, lovely lady, be so good as grant me leave to rise and thus to set free thy captive? for I would fain rise from this bed and put on my robes, so should I talk with thee with greater comfort.' 'Nay, for sooth, good sir,' said that sweet one.' Thou shalt not rise from thy bed. I will give thee better counsel. I will cover thee up in thy bed and hold converse with my knight, whom I have taken prisoner, for I wis that thou art Sir Gawain, whom all the world doth worship wheresoever thou dost ride forth. Thy worth and thy courtesy are praised alike by lords and ladies and by all living. And now thou art here with me alone. My lord and his people are gone far away, and the other men are in bed asleep, and also my maids. The door is fast closed and secured by a strong bolt. So, since I have in this castle the man whom all love, no time will I be losing while it doth last,

In address.
Of me have thy will,
For thou shalt me possess.
Thy servant I am still,
As is fitting, I confess.'

`In good faith,' quoth Gawain, 'I think it would be gain for me were I not he of whom thou speakest, for to attain such worship as thou dost offer me herewith I wot well I am unworthy. By God, I should be glad, if it seemed good unto thee, to do thee service or pleasaunce in word or deed, and a pure joy it would be unto me.'

I know no one will read it but if some happens to anyway and comes up with an idea, I'm open to suggestions.

14 spoke back:

D-HOR said...

Okay, So a crazy stalker chick comes in to the celebrity Sir Gawins room and tells him that
he sleeps like a rock, and that she’s gonna tie his ass up.

He refers to her as happy, says he’s fine with being tied up but makes the request that she at least let him get up first and put on a robe, cuz it’ll be easier for him to talk if he’s not nekkid.

She said no.
And then she tells him just how trapped his ass really is.

Then she tells him to have his way with her.

But the dude is really cool, he’s modest and tries to tell her that
he’s not all that she’s made him up to be. BUUUTTT he’s
still a man and tells her that if she still wants to even though
he’s not THAT great, he’d be more than happy to.

I can sort of imagine you and your Wet for Went Pals doing this with him. Huh, who knew folks were as crazy for celebrities back in the day as they are today. Cool.

Krissie said...

OMG! Have I ever told you how much you ROCK??!
I can work with that! It may not be a very academic paper but I can totally write a story about a medieval celebrity and his groupie! I just have to put myself in her shoes.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

D-HOR said...

Anytime! I wasn't sure it would work (afraid it would be too stoopid) so I just left it up for you to read and take for what you will. But damn it I'm glad it worked out! :)

Anonymous said...

Haha, I was just about to say, TWMS! Or SEX!

But the hor got here first... :D

Krissie said...

So apparently everyone has ideas but me. Shoot me. Thank you both for the input.

D-HOR said...

OHHHHH I'm so lame, OKAAAAYYYY so what is TWMS?

Krissie said...

Oh it's a WM fandom thing. The wanta Milla Sorority. Please don't tell anyone. lol

Mighty Dyckerson said...

I'm not reading that shit. Buy the Cliff's Notes.

Krissie said...

I'm not reading that shit.

There's a surprise.

Sgt said...

The Green Knight is a great story. Outside of the text your snippet is from explains the setup for this.

Gawain honors his word to return to have his head chopped by the green knight. When he is in his bed, the woman (who turns out to be the green knight's wife) tries to seduce him multiple times. Gawain of course, only accepts a single kiss which he gives to the lord (who is the green knight and the woman's husband) as part of another bargain struck, thus proving he is indeed as honest as his legend says. In the end, this saves his head.

I'm not sure how you could make a thesis around that small snippet unless it was about how people will do anything with someone famous, like how women will sleep with rock stars and such just to say they did it.

Krissie said...

We've read the entire thing, but the paper has to be based on this snippet.

Sgt said...

then definitely go with a thesis on "groupie" mentality.

The clip infers she is enamored by his fame and legend.

Maybe its more like Annie Wilkes in "Misery".

Food for thought.

Sukhaloka said...

I haven't read Sir Gawain(or Chaucer or any other Middle english) yet, my exam is on the 27th! Goodbye, fingernails!

I am SO relying on Cliffsnotes. Damn my prof for setting factual papers!
:seethes:

Krissie said...

Good luck, Suki. (Or ask Lindy to help, she seems to be the expert here.)