Friday 31 October 2008

Though my edges may be rough and never feel I'm quite enough

So there I am, on a bench at the river bank, sun is shining upon my face, there's breeze in my hair and against my skin, and I'm reading slash that I printed out and took with me. It goes something like this: Their mouths find each other in the dark, fitting together so tightly that their teeth click and their noses bump. Dean manages to maneuver himself without pulling his lips from Sam's, shifting around until he can lie flat over Sam's body. and so on and I catch myself thinking: "Their mouths is a noun phrase, their is the determiner, mouths is the head noun, find is the verb phrase..." Seriously. Slash reading - YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. Thank you, Syntax of Phrase in English Language, thank you very much. In Soviet Croatia, Syntax of Phrase learns you. And you cannot get away.

Friday mornings are reserved for PE. Anja and I were 15 minutes late. I swear, it wasn't on purpose. So we slack around, trying to avoid actual work out as best as we can, and as I leave there's the professor and with him is my high school PE professor. So I stop by the desk, we shake hands, he asks how I've been and how was Uni, and my current professor points at me and says to my ex professor "She never does anything." "Aww, don't be like that!", I say and laugh. "She just slacks around", he continues and I wave it off with my hand and say "Oh, but he knows! I was exactly the same in high school." And I was. I mean, one is not a PE enthusiast for years and then suddenly decides it's no longer one's thing, right? I've always hated it, I'm not gonna start jumping with joy over it now.

The Curator, God bless him, really tries. He brought us monographies and DVDs with exhibitions today, for each and every one of us, and then he had this one copy of a DVD with some experimental films and what not (OH! I just realised I'll finally discover what they're really like!) and he asked if someone would take it and make copies for the rest of us. And he stood there with the DVD in his hand just waiting. So I volunteered. Stupid soft heart of mine. But I just felt so bad, the others were talking among themselves and not paying attention and you could see he was really trying to show us what it's about. And he only kept us for fifteen minutes instead of an hour and a half. Oh man, I'm warming up to him. I did not see that coming.

13 spoke back:

Anonymous said...

You're such a softie :)

But yes, when professors really try, it's kinda heartwarming.

Krissie said...

Oh shut up. I'm giving you hope, aren't I?

Anonymous said...

Syntax. Damn.

Krissie said...

Yeah. Damn.

LadyN said...

awww, but now he's gonna notice you care and he'll call on you every time! lol!

and seriously? you know how to break down a sentence in English?!

:-/

Krissie said...

Well, I am ~studying~ it, you know. It's what we learn in college. Stuff about English language. Details. Boring shit. Shit that ruins slash for me. *facepalm*

LadyN said...

oh LOLOL! Fucking school ruining slash experiences...

Krissie said...

Happy to see you can find humour in it. :P

nicbeast said...

*blank face*
Wha?

Krissie said...

What? *confused*

darth sardonic said...

lol krissie, you're cute. and the change has been effectuated in my pals list. i like the new name better.

Krissie said...

Oh crap. Now I'm cute. Well fine, just don't tell anyone, mmkay? I've got this rep to keep, right?

And thank you, I think it's appropriate, if nothing else.

Van said...

AHahahah to syntax!

Thank god you're not a teacher, or you'd be putting "rights" and "wrongs" on slash, lmao!