Wednesday 3 December 2008

What's the point of trying to meet you in the middle? You got your point of view, there's nothing I can do

Most of the times my Mom's really cool. Like, not at all stuck up and old-fashioned. She's rather liberal and not narrow-minded. But. There's one conversation we keep having over and over and over again. She just can't accept the fact that we'll never ever see eye to eye on the matter. So, welcome to the awkward world of discussing casual sex with my Mom. I'm just kidding, it's not awkward at all. After having it for so many times, it's actually one of the most comfortable conversations we carry every now and then. The thing is, she just can't accept it's as common as it is. I don't even know what triggered it today but here's how it pretty much went:

M: Tell me if it's normal.
K: Yes.
M: How can it be normal?
K: It just is.
M: It can't be normal.
K: Goddammit, it's normal!
M: But for whom?!
K: Oh for crying out loud, one of my friends is casually sleeping with her colleague. they're not dating, they're just having sex. The other keeps having these flings with guys that tend to be a little bit younger every time. (I used names, but I won't here.)
M: Wait, what? OUR *name*?
K: YES. Does that make her a tramp or trash?
M: No, of course not.
K: Well there you go.
M: But her?! How did that happen?
K: Oh my God. I dunno. She's a grown up, if she wants to have sex with boys, she can. Not everyone wants to have a boyfriend.
M: But why not?
K: Because it's exhausting! It's emotionally exhausting, and it's time consuming, and you have to compromise, and a lot of people today aren't ready to do that.
M: So they just get together and have sex.
K: YES.
M: And that's normal?
K: Jesus. Look. People have casual sex, people get pregnant at 16 and get married. People date for 5 years and THEN get married. I am celibate! I haven't been TOUCHED by anyone for over two years. EVERYTHING is normal. You cannot just cram my entire generation into one single box, OK? Can we just agree that you'll never understand it because this is just not your time?
M: I guess.
K: Fine.

Generation gap. Fun for the entire family.

9 spoke back:

nicbeast said...

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

I have to say, I love your family conversations! Thanks for entertaining me!

I won't tell you the last family conversation I had...*shakes head*

Krissie said...

Aw no fair! Spit it!

nicbeast said...

Geeze...which one?

Me: Hey guess what!!
Bro: What
Me: *tells him good news*
Bro: Cool I'll call you back when I get home.
Me: Ok

It's been 3 days...still waiting...

Krissie said...

Ahahahahaha. Bastard.

Van said...

AHahahah Nic!

And Krissie its good to have an open relatioship with your mother.
More and more I am realizing that a relationship can be also exausting.
I am at the edge of the clif.
Tired, unhappy...whatever this post is not about me.
I bet your friend is having a great time, having great sex and not having head aches with bfs!!
Maybe that really is an alternative to relationships.....
And you need sex girl!

Krissie said...

No, I don't. Shut up.

sonja said...

:DDDDD

Krissie said...

Ahahahahaha. A budalo.

Anonymous said...

Tell your mother it is them that got it right. It's us married girls that are stark crazy.