Monday 13 April 2009

In loving memory

It's funny how they said "six months to a year" a week ago. ONE WEEK is not SIX MONTHS and it's certainly not A YEAR.

But.

She had lung cancer as a starting point and it spread to all of her bones and to her brain. So I'm calling a blessing.

Yes, of course it's sad. My Dad now has no parents left (he lost his Dad to brain tumor when he was 7 [my Dad, not his, cuz that would be... it's pretty obvious, I think]) and she wasn't that old anyway (74). But with the cancer and all, her leg was immobilised with a cast because the bone has... decayed or something and she never would've gotten up and out of bed again. And if you ask me, that's no life for a person to live.

Especially for someone like her.

She would've loved us laughing and joking like we did this evening because she laughed at all times. During the war, when my sister and I lived there, the four of us, my sister, my Mom, my grandma and me would play cards. Then I'd be paired up with her and she'd bluff and I wouldn't know and then we'd lose. I'd pout and she? She would laugh and laugh and laugh.

She'd curl my hair so when my Dad would come for a day or two from the front, I'd wear his beret on my curled hair and march around feeling like Lili Marleen.

When I was first starting school, she made me a sleeveless shirt and a skirt, white with huge red polka dots. The skirt had frills, of course, and the shirt buttoned in the back. Oh and the buttons? TINY SHEEP. I was a total princess.

She was Hungarian and she always spoke Croatian a little funny. She'd even make up words, especially pet names for us, words that meant nothing and everything at the same time.

My grandma was one of a kind. And she will be missed. R.I.P.

8 spoke back:

Van said...

I am so so sorry...
My thoughts are with you and your family.
Keep her alive in your memories :)
I am always here if you need, please don't forget that, Krissie.

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss, but I'm so, so happy for wonderful memories you are left with. *hugs*

Krissie said...

Thank you, girls.

nicbeast said...

I'm sorry for your loss.

Krissie said...

Thank you.

LadyN said...

Sooo sorry, Krissie! My condolences to your whole family.

She sounded wonderful!

and the polka dot shirt with sheep buttons...sooo adorable! :-D I couldn't help but smile. My granpa beat me at checkers every time!

I'm glad you can keep great memories.

stay strong.

darth sardonic said...

i'm very sorry. at the same time, i hope to christ the ones i leave behind say similar things about me. hugs.

Krissie said...

Thank you.

And I'm pretty sure you got it covered.